Tuesday, February 28, 2017

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

A Monster Calls
Patrick Ness
Published September 27th 2011 by Walker Books
Genres:  Middle Grade, Fantasy, Horror

Summary:

The monster showed up after midnight. As they do.

But it isn’t the monster Conor’s been expecting. He’s been expecting the one from his nightmare, the one he’s had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming…

This monster is something different, though. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor.

It wants the truth.

Add to Goodreads

My Thoughts

This book was great and super emotional, I mean wow that ending killed me!!  I feel like Conor grew up alot through this book, because of having to deal with the tragedy of his mom having cancer.  His dad was not very supportive, considering he moved to the United States with his current wife and child.  I feel like his dad should of been there more for Conor.  At first I didn't like Conor's grandma, but towards the end I really starting liking her.  Conor had to learn that his grandma was on his side the whole time.

The monster that Conor became acquainted with was not actually a mean monster, after all.  He was there to help Conor with his mom and move on with his life and to learn to let go.  I feel like if the monster did not help Conor, he would of taken everything very hard.

I really enjoyed this book and the aspect of learning to deal with a tragedy at such a young age.  This book is an excellent middle grade and I highly recommend this book to anyone.

Rating


Post a Comment

© Kendra Loves Books. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.